Wednesday, March 26, 2008

How to Make Your In-Laws Love You

Inspired by this Lemon Curd Berry Trifle recipe, I made an Easter dessert for my father-in-law. He loves all things lemon, but he also likes a fruit trifle I make in the summertime.

This was my blind attempt at having the best of both desserts. It is now my favorite thing in the world to make (and eat!) and I am coining it as my signature dessert for all future potlucks. It's light and summery, but the lemon is not too sweet and very tangy. SCORE!

I did manipulate the recipe to be low(er) fat and I used a few BIG shortcuts... pre-made lemon curd and store-bought angel food cake.
Why? Because I can.

Plus I suck at making lemon curd AND angel food cake.


2 jars Dickinson's Lemon Curd, chilled

1 tub Light Cool-Whip, thawed

1 Angel Food Cake from grocery bakery, torn into medium sized chunks

1 pint fresh strawberries, stemmed and halved lengthwise

1 pint fresh blueberries

1 pint fresh blackberries

1/4 cup Lemoncello or Grand Marnier liqueur (optional)

Fresh mint leaves, for garnish


To build the trifle:
Empty the chilled lemon curd into a mixing bowl and fold in thawed Cool-whip until it takes on a gorgeous light yellow mousse consistency.

Put the berries in a mixing bowl and toss them together so they are evenly distributed.

Line a glass trifle bowl with pieces of angel food cake cake to fit. Drizzle or brush the cake with the Lemoncello or grand Marnier liquer, spoon a layer of the lemon curd mix over the cake, and then a layer of mixed berries.

Repeat the layers until the ingredients are used up, with the last layer berries. Chill before serving. Garnish with fresh mint.

Dust your hands and apron with flour and dab a bit of lemon juice behind your ears. Sigh with exhaustion as you explain to your husband you just made his dad a lemon trifle from SCRATCH and could he please put the boys to bed while you enjoy this glass of wine in the bubble bath?

Enjoy.

1 comment:

ArtistUnplugged said...

BEAUTIFUL DESSERT! Sounds yummy.I have lots of good lemon recipes due to Papa Loyd and BigBoy. Maybe your father-in-law would like the blueberry lemon pie recipe...remember?

Hotwheel Hacienda, 2008. All Rights Reserved.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.