Saturday, March 15, 2008

Globetrotting

We took the boys to see the Harlem Globetrotters this week. Caleb loved it when he was little and wanted to see what Finn would think. Click the photo for more GT pictures...

The verdict:
Finn was equally excited about getting popcorn and Eli preferred to flirt with the redhead behind us, but a good time was had by all. Finn got a basketball and liked it so much he slept with it that night. Caleb and I agreed that we seemed to remember the Globetrotters being better shooters. These guys were great and funny, but all they did was dunk alot and make jokes with the crowd. What happened to the guys who could shoot from half court and do all those crazy trick shots?

We signed Finn up for t-ball this spring... that should be interesting. I'm curious - what have been your experiences with young kids and sports? Is three too young? I know most of the time will be spent looking at bugs in the outfield and running the bases the wrong way... He seems to be excited about it but I don't really think he knows what we're talking about when we tell him he's going to play t-ball with a team. Any advice?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We started tball when The Boy was four. It was a great experience to develop interpersonal relationships and learn a bit of structured discipline.. yadda yadda yadda. Just don't be one of those crazy baseball moms. Lord knows there's enough of those out there already. :)

Virginia said...

The Globe Trotters! I loved them when I was a kid. Haven't seen them in years.

On the sport front, I remember my oldest daughter playing T-ball at 4 yrs old. She spent her outfield time navel gazing. It drove her dad insane! As long as you are prepared for that you'll be fine. I do think sports are great for kids as long as the focus is on having fun and learning to play.

ArtistUnplugged said...

Ditto to the Globetrotters...I saw them a couple of years ago and remembered them as being better. Perhaps it was because I was more impressed with them as a child. BigBoy played baseball at around 6 and I recall him running from the outfield to me and I told him to go back, that he would have to finish the season, "We finish what we start", didn't play a sport again until 6th grade. Watch some baseball games together on tv or take him to a high school game.

Stepher said...

Fun. What is T-Ball?

Amy said...

Ooh, I'm thinking of signing my 3 year old up too!! I think she will love it, she's had a lot of experience watching all her older sisters do one thing or another.

Amy said...

Kieran seems excited about being on "the baseball teen" too. We found a little kids' dvd about baseball that he likes so he could get an idea of what we're talking about. Poor kid's never even been to a baseball game...

Sandy and I saw a hysterical skit during the Second City show last week...A man is presenting something at work, and another guy sits in the corner shouting at him that he's a loser, that his numbers are all screwed up, that his graphs look stupid, etc. "Aw, come on! What are you thinking?? Do you even know what revenue means?? Hello!!" Stuff like that. So one of the coworkers asks, "Who is that?" And the presenter says, "That's my son's little league coach. I got a little carried away at the game yesterday,..."

Sandy and I were nudging each other the whole time.

I'm not sure how Finn and Kieran will act, but I know they'll look precious!!

Lee Anne Bryant said...

I'm sure t-ball will be fine and after a season you'll know if it's for him or not. I wouldn't think it would hurt to try it out.

Hotwheel Hacienda, 2008. All Rights Reserved.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.