Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Great Costume Debacle

It's officially October and the boys have started this year's debate - what to be for Halloween? Actually, the search began back in August, but neither Caleb or I took either very seriously, because we knew it would change a million times.

The difference now is Eli is interested, and Finn - who we thought would be the constant element in the Halloween equation - can't seem to make up his mind. Before Eli could care less, but now he is firmly resolved to be "Star Wars", which include any one of the following:
- Darth Vader
- a Jedi
- Boba Fett
- Yoda

Fickle Finn changes with the wind. Months ago is was Shark Boy, from the movie Shark Boy & Lava Girl. Then it changed to Indiana Jones, in part because he loves to watch us play Lego Indiana Jones on the Wii. (Note he's never seen the movies and really has no idea who Indiana Jones is.) Then he wanted to be a knight, just because he saw a costume in TJ Maxx he liked that was five times too big for him.

Today? He wants to be "Scary Jerry".

Who is Scary Jerry, you ask?



He is this guy. My mom came to visit over the weekend and brought Scary Jerry, a magnetic skeleton that she got at the hospital gift shop. Scary Jerry lives on our refrigerator... and Finn has fallen in love with him. Scary Jerry needs to be adjusted. Scary Jerry is too cold. Scary Jerry "glows in the dark" (not really). Scary Jerry wants to play with him. Scary Jerry is ticklish.

Finn wants to marry Scary Jerry.

Luckily, Caleb's parents found some cute skeleton pajamas for both boys a while back. Am I bad mother is I just layer those with thermal underwear, slap on a skeleton mask, and call it a day?

Scary Jerry is whispering in my ear, telling me I should.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how funny and fun!

We must admit ignorance of Shark Boy & Lava Girl until today, but now consider ourselves just a little bit knowledgeable on the topic thanks to your blog. You see, you really are saving humanity through the blog!

And, um, "no" you are not a bad mother IOHO.

Grins and giggles for the week ahead!

Tyne said...

Heck yes you should! I vote that anytime a kid is excited about saving you money so you can buy some great new shoes, even though they may not know that is their deep desire, take advantage!

Aardvark said...

easy for you = always a good idea!

Lee Anne Bryant said...

That would be a great costume!!! I want a Scary Jerry for my refrigerator too!

A Crafty Mom said...

Yes, I can totally relate. My two boys have been going on and on and on about costumes for two months now. I finally made them commit and told them that was it, no turning back or changing costumes. So the 4 1/2 year old is Indiana Jones (same reasons you cited, lol, a Wii addict) and the 3 year old is doing Spiderman. I'm LOL at Scary Jerry :-)

Aracely said...

As long as you don't use a pillow case as a treat bag you're golden with me :)

Amy said...

The perfect costume is whatever the #*@& a three-year-old will put on his body ;) That's my new philosophy. We opened Kieran's Darth Vader mask today, thinking that he would go crazy for it...and he wouldn't put it on. He says he wants to be a Jedi. (I think he's scared of the Vader mask, actually.)

Let's just hope that Scary Jerry doesn't lose his appeal between now and the 31st. Keep us posted.

Creative-Type Dad said...

That's a fun costume.

And Lego Indiana Jones is a great game - I just got it last week.

Miss Lisa said...

I think that would be cute--and I love his friendship with Scary Jerry :)

Piece o' Coconut Cake said...

What are you talking about? It's perfect! You put him straight to bed in his costume! What more could you ask for...

Danielle (Life with the Hewitt Family) said...

Great story! Finn sounds so much like my Carter. We are always making sure that objects are comfortable. Carter loves Indiana Jones too, but he has no idea about anything other than what he looks like and the theme song...He often sings that while he is Indiana Jones. It is so funny!

Hotwheel Hacienda, 2008. All Rights Reserved.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.