Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Boy Briefs, the ER Version

Yep, we had to go back last night.

Thanks to all my twitterkin that sent good vibes our way. I sincerely think it helped! We were able to leave (yet again) without having to put Finn under for surgery. And today the cut looks better - it's pinking up. Those of you who are very brave can go see it here. Be warned - it's gross.

At the current moment our status is set to "wait & see". All the doctors involved (and there is a growing number of them, which I think is stoopid) seem to think it could easily go either way. Best case scenario involves sutures healing great and come out next week. Worst case would be skin continues to die due to lack of blood supply and surgery becomes inevitable. Then it's put Finn under - something that scares me very much - and plastic surgeon takes a graph from his tiny little back and applies it to his arm so it doesn't crater.

We see plastic surgeon Tuesday and its his call. Until then, we have to watch it vigilantly and go straight to the doctor, do not pass go, do not collect $200, where he will then send us straight to the ER and we do it all over again.

JOY.

While I am VERY thankful this is just a superficial wound, and we're not dealing with a super-serious injury, the thought of putting Finn to sleep for surgery makes me incredibly nervous. I guess I've heard too many horror stories of kids never waking up again, especially little ones.

So - if you have a positive success story to share, please leave them in the comments.

If you only have horrible, awful, negative stories, take a hike. I can't hear those right now.



********************************


Two year old and I are driving to meet Hotwheel Hubs and Finn at the ER. I am distraught due to circumstances.

Eli: "Mommy. Mommy. Look! Look Dat!!"

Me: "What? Where?"

Eli: "Iyon pway! Iyon pway!" points and wiggles excitedly

Me: "What?"

Eli: "IYON PWAY!! Der. Der. Der-der-der-der. DER!!!"

Me: spotting the source of discontent
"You want to play there, at that playground?"

Eli: "Ya."

Me: "We can't baby. We got to go see Daddy and Brother."

Eli: "Kaaay."


(a few miles later)

Eli: "Schweep da moon, schweep da moon, Ewi schweepin', Brudder nigh-nigh"
Repeat 18 times.
(Translation: Sleep the moon, sleep the moon, Eli sleeping, Brother night night.)


(more miles later)

Eli: "Mommy. Mommy. Look! Look Dat!! Eeeeewwwww. Dat yucky!"

Me:  ......

Eli: "Eeeeewwwww. Blech. Dat duht nassy."

Me: spotting the construction & piles of dirt around the hospital
"Yep. Nasty dirt."


(in the hospital parking lot)

Eli: "Mommy. Mommy. Look! Look Dat!! Der! Mocycle! Iyona wide!"

Me: "Yep. It's a motorcycle. Say 'hi' to the motorcycle man. We can't ride, baby. We have to go see Daddy now."

Eli: "Kaaay."


Eli has no clue whatsoever there is discord in the house. His oblivion is refreshing, and I hope if I stay around it long enough I can absorb some of it by osmosis. He's been pacifier free for over 3 weeks, and his talking has increased at least 50%. He quit by himself, cold turkey. He's asked for it a few times when he's been sleepy or upset, but only a few. 


I'm so proud of my goofy, sweet baby boy. He's a spot of sunshine on a cloudy day.

eli is trouble.jpg


********************************


Also - anyone know if its possible to back up a blog? I'm terrified of blogger crashing and losing all my posts. Is this a dumb thing to worry about or can my neurosis be validated?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God for no needing surgery! Have you realized that you are stronger than you ever thought?
12 days after Pier (my 2nd) was born, he developed a chronic pneumonia. I was devastated and never thought that I was going to be able to handle the needles and the pain on such a small baby (specially right after delivery). Back then, we were on a mission in Kenya so the hospital conditions were not the best. Three weeks later, he was fine and strong as a rock. This experience helped me realize the pain that other moms with sick kids go through. Also that when it’s needed God gives me the strength to handle the situation. You are doing fantastic, keep it up!
Give my best to your brave son!
AnaRC

Lee Anne Bryant said...

Jason says you can find free software on the web that will save your webpage. You just have to search around for it.

You have a mac so you can also just open your blog, go to file, go to save page as, and save as web page complete. You'll have it saved but without links.

Lee Anne Bryant said...

I think you can also print your blog into a book with all kinds of different programs available out there.

A Crafty Mom said...

Oh no - that is so ugly, that poor little guy!! I'll keep my fingers crossed that all is ok and no surgery is needed. Thank goodness you got some much needed "lightness" from your other little guy . . . kids say the darndest things, that's for sure.

I'm on the "need to back up my blog" bandwagon, too, so I'll watch your comments for ideas :-)

ArtistUnplugged said...

I don't have to tell you that VolleyGirl had her first surgery at 4 mos. for tubes, at a year for her first palate surgery and then her second months later. It is scary, but you are stronger than you think you are. Praying for the pink!

Karen @Snakes-Snails-Puppydogtails said...

I totally want that shirt he has on!!! I have three that "define trouble"!!
I'd like to back up my blog too.. keep us posted on that!

Tyne said...

Hey BookMamma! I have missed you... I can't believe that huge laceration! Yikes! I don't have any experience with surgery and little ones, but I am sure that you will be guided to make a good choice, and I will be praying that surgery is not necessary.

Will you do a little post letting us know what you find out about backing up your blog? Since you are the BookMamma, and totally awesome?

Oh, and I loved the little converstation. sorry for the long comment.

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

I was just thinking about the blog back-up thing the other day too. I have no idea. I may start saving some things in Word.

As for your little guy, I'm too afraid to look at the picture. I'm so sorry. But I'm glad he won't need surgery. How scary...

Love the little conversation. Too cute.

McMommy said...

I was a brave soul who looked at the wound pic and now I don't feel so brave. Holy Crap!!! Is it usually bandaged? Do you have to wash it and clean it or just let it be? I don't blame you for being nervous at all...it's our job as moms. If it makes you feel any better, my best friend's daughter was put under for a surgery recently, and she came through it wonderfully and was back at home that afternoon.

xoxo

Simply Shannon said...

You poor thing! Sorry, I hadn't had a chance to check in for a while. I'm glad that so far it looks like no surgery.
I hope that you don't actually need the reassurance, but just in case...Ciara was put under when she was 17 months old to have her blocked tear duct fixed. She was totally freaked out while coming out of it, but other than that everything went fine.
Hugs to you and your little man!

Amy said...

Never. Should. Have. Looked.
Never. I don't know what the hell I was thinking. I pass out in hospitals, for crying out loud. Duh.

...and the worst is that I picture sweet Finn's face attached to that arm! I don't know how you do it! Um, wait. Of course, I do. You're a mother. And that's what you do, right? Somehow. And you'd do the same if he had to have surgery. I have a couple of friends whose babies have gone through heart surgeries, and they were terrified, too, but Abby and Bella are perfectly fine now. We'd all pray and light incense and lift Finn up in every way.

And little Ewi. God bless children for helping us see the sun behind the cloud.

Kiss 'em both for me. And let me know about the blog-backing. I've heard about websites that print blogs into scrapbook-style books, but I have no clue which sites they are. We'll all go hunting and report back...

Carol said...

I looked I couldn't help myself. Poor Finn. When Thomas borke his arm back in May I was terrified when they said they'd take him into surgery to fix it back into place.

But you know it was totally fine. They gave him something to make him drowsy and I held him until he was pretty out of it which wasn't pretty because he was all twitchy with his eyes rolling.

They made me leave then until he was fully conscious afterwards.

I just made sure to say an especially gigantic prayer.

Hope he manages to avoid the need for surgery though. No surgery is definitely preferable to surgery.

Diva Ma @ Mommy Fabulous said...

OMG so sorry to hear of this happening to your son. I know that must be pretty scary. We've only had to rush a kid to the ER once and I stayed home with the other two while Hubs went. He had hit his head and had blood every where. He was fine, though. No stitches. Kids are resilient, thank goodness and he will be fine once it's all over.

Hotwheel Hacienda, 2008. All Rights Reserved.|Blog Design by JudithShakes Designs.
Graphics hosted by Flickr.